6/04/2008

The Costs Of Driving

These days it seems venturing out on the open road is an expensive pursuit. I have been logging miles over the past couple of weeks, so I have been thinking about the cost of fuel, the nature of travel in America and the future of owning a gas guzzling vehicle. 
There is not much that any of us can do about the price of fuel, short of drilling our own wells and making it ourselves, which probably is not very practical, "I drink your milkshake!" indeed! On the other hand I think the cost of fuel has a greater impact on the ways we live our lives. For years we have taking mobility for granted. 10 years ago I could have travelled from NYC to LA for the same cost as a trip from OKC to Austin today. I know I feel the pinch but the transport industry which brings us all things we can't live without is in a much tougher situation. I don't know what the future will bring us. I just feel as though the innocence of American travel is gone. There is a sense that the ways everything is structured, from travel, to community to infrastructure is going to have to change. The alternative is suicide.

* Just a note: I  have purchased R.DoyleBowman.com  I have not decided how I will build and host the site. There is some junk I just posted with some links last night up there now. I will keep you posted.

No comments: